Where you are invited to describe how you came to care about what you eat.

Friday, December 13, 2013

Panettone outside the box


In the markets every winter, starting about a month before Christmas, I see the boxes of panettone, the Italian brioche with the candied fruits. Sometimes I buy one. The other night, after I woke up at 4 a.m., my thoughts wandered until I realized I wanted to try making my own panettone. I found a recipe I wanted to try, and went back to sleep. 

In the morning, I read the recipe more closely. It required an ingredient I've never seen called Fiori di Sicilia extract. I hunted around on the internets and decided what I really wanted to do was make this Fiori di Sicilia-inspired syrup (from the Edible Mosaic site) of lemons, sugar, vanilla, and orange flower water. So I did, and it turned out so nicely. It makes a beautiful mixer with some sparkling water and ice, and I'll bet a dash would be lovely in a wine spritzer or anywhere you'd use elderflower liqueur. 

When I made the panettone, I substituted 1/4 cup of this syrup for the 3 tablespoons of sugar and the Fiori di Sicilia extract the original recipe called for. And I tweaked a couple of other things, adjusting for high altitude.

Risë's Party Panettone
Start this the night before you bake by stirring some flour, yeast, and water in a bowl and letting the mixture sit for 12-24 hours at room temperature. 
 
Biga (overnight starter)
3/4 cup (3 1/8 ounces) unbleached, unenriched organic wheat flour (white, not whole wheat)
A pinch of yeast
1/3 cup (2 5/8 ounces) water

Combine the biga ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl, cover, and allow them to rest overnight (12-24 hours).

Dough
All of the biga (above)
2 1/4 cups (9 1/2 ounces) organic wheat flour (not whole wheat)
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup (2 ounces) fiori di Sicilia syrup
1 tablespoon water
2 large eggs
1/4 cup (1/2 stick, 2 ounces) butter
Zest of one large orange
1 1/4 teaspoons SAF Gold instant yeast OR 1 1/2 teaspoons rapid-rise yeast*
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup (2 1/4 ounces) slivered dried apricots
1/2 cup (2 ounces) dried cranberries
1/4 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips or chopped semisweet chocolate

*Note: These yeast quantities are adapted for high altitude (5,000 feet). If baking at sea level, add another 1 1/4 teaspoons SAF yeast or another 1 1/2 teaspoons rapid-rise yeast.

Dough: Combine all of the dough ingredients except the fruit and stir them until the dough gathers together. Turn out the dough onto a generously floured board, scrape as much of the sticky dough out of the bowl and onto your dough, and knead the dough until it is soft and smooth. Lightly oil the bowl and put in the dough. Allow the dough to rise, covered, for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until it's puffy (though not necessarily doubled in bulk). Gently deflate the dough, and knead in the fruits and zest.

Shape the dough into a ball and place it in a greased 8-inch springform pan (or other straight-sided, tall 1 1/2- to 2-quart pan). Cover the pan and let the dough rise for about 1 hour or until the dough has risen somewhat.

Bake the bread in a preheated 400°F oven for 10 minutes. Reduce the oven heat to 375°F and bake an additional 10 minutes; then reduce the heat to 350°F and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the panettone from the oven and cool completely. Slices are excellent toasted.


No comments: